Ultimate pizza dough
I now use the recipe specified by the Associazione Vera Pizza Napoletana – the Napoli Pizza Maker’s Association, which uses more salt than many recipes, but tastes fantastic. We scale up or down the basic recipe assuming 100g of flour per person! it’s been handed down for generations in Napoli and worth using!
Ultimate Pizza Dough
Inspired by the Official Napoli Pizza Maker's Association, using 60% hydration
- 1 kg Strong White Flour or 00 Flour
- 1 thumb Fresh Yeast (or 2tsp of dried active yeast)
- 25 g Sea Salt
- 1 glug Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 600 ml Water
- Stir the yeast into the water and allow to froth for 5mins
- Stir the salt and olive oil into the flour on a clean surface
- Make a well in the middle of the floor and pour in a little water, pulling flour over it and repeat until all water is added.
- Knead for a good 10mins to form good gluten - you will see strands forming.
- Form the dough into a round and put in an oiled bowl covered with a tea towel for 2hrs to rest.
- When the dough has doubled, push down gently to expel the air and leave to rest for 10mins again.
- Pull off tennis ball size pieces with oiled hands. Form them into a perfect ball - the more circular at this stage, the better they will form into round pizza! On a floured (or even better fine semolina'd) surface you cant stretch and form your pizzas. Stretch as thin as you can either by hand or use a rolling pin.
- Add toppings and use a peel to cook in your super hot outdoor oven for 90secs